Friday, January 21, 2011

Death

I have heard it a million times, "life is fragile" but this week it hit closer to home. Three loved ones of my friends have passed away. One of them was younger than me.

A man died this week from slipping on ice the very same night I slipped on ice-I just fell in a different manner. That was all that kept one of us alive and caused the other to leave this earth.

There is such a small veil between this life and the next.

I was talking with a friend who just lost a dear loved one not too long ago. We talked about how mysterious death is. What happens to all the love you poured into someone? What happens to all the love you have been given by someone? When they die there is no longer a "thing" to represent that. The relationship has been terminated.

So many tears have been shed this week. I can't help but feel the pain of my grieving friends. Their relationship with their loved one on this earth is over. Some expected and some sudden.

Then I think about the people that died. All of them were believers. They no longer have to face pain, hurt, tears, sin and death. They are done with it forever! I celebrate with them! Oh to have pure fellowship with my Lord! What a beautiful thought!

It is just a thin veil away...

One of my favorite authors, Philip Yancey, described miracles as being little hints of what creation will be like one day. He said it was like a sneak peek into the hope that is to come.

Just as death does, each miracle can remind us that the veil of eternity is so thin. We are living in eternity, it is just that we still have to deal with sin and death while on this earth.

This causes me to greatly ponder if I live my life like I am in eternity. If I take death and miracles as reminders of this. Was that sin really worth it? Was making my name known really worth it? Was not choosing to go the "extra mile" really worth it?

In the words of Switchfoot, "We were meant to live for so much more!"

No comments:

Post a Comment