Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother Dear

When I think about my Mom and what she has done for me, certain thoughts tend to come to the surface of my memories more often than others:

~When I was 8 or 9 years old. My Mom came home from shopping with one of my sisters and she walked up to me with a little jewelry box in her hand. Inside was my very first locket. My Mom had heard me talking about how much I wanted a locket and she took the time to pick one out for me. It wasn't my birthday or Christmas, it was a "just because I was thinking of you," present.

~When I was 18, I worked as a full-time nanny and would often be the only one up in the house when I left for work. One morning, as I hopped into my Mom's van (which she was letting me borrow while I saved up for my car), I noticed a note in the cup holder. It was a simple note that said "Good Morning Heather, I hope you have a wonderful day!" It was a simple note but it made my day (and week and...well I still have the note).

~When I was 19 and living in Texas. My Mom often sent me care packages with fun items like wax lips or handmade curtains. I was going through one of the lowest times in my life and so my Mom would often call me daily in addition to sending me letters and emails. Some of her advice has stuck with me ever since. My favorite card I received said, "A mother knows her daughter by heart" on the front of it. I remember thinking how true that statement was.

As I have thoughts about these moments over my life that have stuck with me, I noticed a theme. My mom played the role of my comforter and nurturer to me. Today especially, I am very thankful not only for all the skills my mom taught me and all of the school she faithfully taught but also for nurturing this fragile girl as she turned into a woman. It is all of the little things that make mom's so special. So today, I want to wish my Mother a very Happy Mother's Day. I love you so very much Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment